After months of relentless development, we are proud to finally announce that the Particl V3-testnet build is now available for public access and testing!
As a reminder, Particl Desktop 3.0 (or Particl V3, as commonly referred to as) is Particl’s most significant update since its inception in 2017. It introduces new functionalities and enhancements to the desktop application as well as a significantly rewritten and improved market codebase. The end result is an experience that’s faster, simpler, smoother, and much more lightweight for your computer to handle.
Particl V3 makes way for many new features and functionality that have been long-anticipated by the Particl community, adding the next logical steps for our mission of delivering the most secure and private online marketplace on the web. Some special tidbits to mention are:
- Markets and Storefronts allow sellers to have their own brand stores or theme stores and determine who can access them. It also enables community markets.
- Market identities allow you to create multiple shops, markets, and listings without creating any association between each of them. Multiple markets or storefronts can also be linked to the same seller so that he can benefit from the reputation he's gained.
- Coin control allows users to define precisely which of their coins, no matter in which of their addresses they are, should be used for transfer.
- Enhanced privacy due to payment of listing fees for spam prevention with anon funds, adjustable ring signatures that now default to 24 ring members, the freshly introduced UTXO splitter, etc.
- Lower listing fees due to changes made in how SMSG and the marketplace codebase interact with each other.
- Improved desktop application that enhances the user experience thanks to better performance and speed.
To learn more about Particl V3, follow this link.
Download Particl Desktop 3.0-testnet: https://github.com/particl/particl-desktop/releases/tag/v3.0.0-RC-test002
Obtain testnet coins
To get testnet coins, visit the Particl faucet.
To properly test Particl Desktop 3.0-testnet, please make sure not to have any previous Particl-testnet environment installed. To make this task easy for you, feel free to use this template accordingly.
Press Windows+X to open the Power Users menu, and then click “Command Prompt” or “Command Prompt (Admin).” Alternatively, choose the PowerShell. Copy and paste the following commands to rename any former Particl-testnet environment.
ren "%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Particl\testnet" "%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Particl\testnet_preV3" ren "%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\particl-market\testnet" "%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\particl-market\testnet_preV3" ren "%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Particl Desktop Testnet" "%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Particl Desktop Testnet_preV3"
Open Terminal (e.g. COMMAND ⌘ + SPACE and type “terminal” > hit ENTER ↵). Copy and paste the following commands to rename any former Particl-testnet environment.
mv "~/Library/Application Support/Particl/testnet" "~/Library/Application Support/Particl/testnet_preV3" mv "~/Library/Application Support/particl-market/testnet" "~/Library/Application Support/particl-market/testnet_preV3" mv "~/Library/Application Support/Particl Desktop Testnet" "~/Library/Application Support/Particl Desktop Testnet_preV3"
Open a terminal. (e.g. COMMAND/WIN ⌘ + T)
Copy and paste the following commands to rename any former Particl-testnet environment.
mv "~/.particl/testnet" "~/.particl/testnet_preV3" mv "~/.particl-market/testnet" "~/.particl-market/testnet_preV3" mv "~/.config/particl-desktop-testnet" "~/.config/particl-desktop-testnet_preV3"
Discussions and Feedback
Your insights are infinitely valuable for us to enhance and improve Particl Desktop and Particl Marketplace. To that end, the Particl community forum is the perfect place for focused discussions and to get to know what other community members have observed. It’s a community-driven effort, and you are encouraged to participate.
To help to streamline community testing for Particl V3-testnet, the community has prepared a Marketplace Testing category to the forum where you can report issues to other community members and see what others are coming up with. Simply follow this link to land in the right place.
Still, if you find any observation that has found a certain degree of consensus, you are kindly asked to publish it on the Github Issues page formally. This way, it is guaranteed that the developers won’t miss it.
- Listings from any previous build (pre-V3) are not compatible with Particl V3, meaning they won’t show up on the new marketplace. If you have incomplete orders, you can still download pre-V3 builds to complete them without any issue.
- If you encounter problems connecting to peers, it may be caused by the low number of nodes on the testnet network. To fix this issue, open up your Particl Desktop debug console and type the following command:
addnode "22.214.171.124:51938" "add"
- If you spot any issue, bug, or area of improvement, please report it directly on the Github Issues page.
- Your wallet needs to be unlocked to process buy and sell orders on the marketplace.
- Particl Marketplace is still in on-going development, and thus, is considered to be a Beta release.
- NB!! The source code linked to here is not the actual tagged release source code. Please contact the Particl team for source code information. The actual source code will be uploaded and made available after an appropriate interval of time has passed.
Sometimes it's helpful to start the application from the terminal, aka command line. It gives you additional information about the happenings in the background.
- Open "Windows Explorer"
- On the installation folder (e.g.
"C:\Program Files\Particl Desktop Testnet\Particl Desktop Testnet") Press [SHIFT⇧]+[MOUSE-RIGHT◳] and choose "Open command window here"
- Type the following command including the quotation marks into the terminal and hit [ENTER ↵]
"Particl Desktop Testnet.exe"
- Open "Terminal"
(e.g. [COMMAND ⌘] + [SPACE] and type
terminal> hit [ENTER ↵])
- Type in this command and hit [ENTER ↵]:
/Applications/Particl\ Desktop\ Testnet.app/Contents/MacOS/Particl\ Desktop\ Testnet
- Open a terminal in the folder where you’ve installed the application and type the following command and hit [ENTER ↵]:
./Particl\ Desktop\ Testnet
Here we are! Particl V3-testnet is finally ready for community testing, but we haven’t yet crossed the finish line. This is when we need your help the most!
Althought Particl V3-testnet is already very stable, we need as many of you as possible to test it out so that the mainnet launch goes as smoothly as possible. You can now download and install Particl V3-testnet, and if you happen to spot any issue or area in need of improvement, simply click the Bug icon at the bottom left corner of the Particl Desktop client. That’ll redirect you to the Github Issues page and is the official way to report an issue.
Additionally, you can join the testing channel on Discord, Telegram, or Riot if you have any questions or require any help. This is where the Particl developers will be hanging around during this testing phase.
Keep in mind that, for the Particl V3-mainnet release, only bugs will be fixed. Any improvement or suggestion is more likely to be included in Particl Desktop 3.1+ releases unless they require very little development work.
Thank you and all the Particl community for your incredible support, suggestions, contributions, and patience throughout this critical development phase that was Particl V3. We are now very confident the new desktop client will significantly and positively impact the Particl experience and go a long way to help with the adoption of decentralized e-commerce.
So let’s get testing, iron out any final issue, and get this out to the world!
Particl is Participation
Get recognized as someone that cares. With your help, we become more noticed out there. It takes seconds, and you are making a statement by giving us a follow and hitting the bell icon.
Join the instant messaging chats. There's no need to be active, but it’s good to be in the loop.
Gain deep knowledge about Particl by reading.
Last but not least, a list that shows an infinite number of links clearly categorized and on one page.