The week is coming to an end, which means it's time for our weekly development progress report! So let's quickly see what progress has been made in the past few days.
Particl Desktop 🖥
We're now getting close to the end of the current Particl Desktop 3.3 cycle. At this time, there are only three remaining items on our to-do list, after which we'll be able to wrap things up.
- We still need to complete the integration of the new wallet-specific settings. This ongoing item has been taking a bit longer than anticipated due to more significant and forward-compatible changes to the settings structure — making for a perfect segue into Particl's upcoming major development cycle.
- Once that's done, we must re-add the new marketplace-specific code into Particl Desktop. This is relatively trivial since most of the new code relates to ensuring that the desktop client passes the correct startup parameters to the market service. In other words, there is very little interaction that the marketplace UI does with the rest of the system.
- And then, a couple of tweaks and minor improvements/optimizations need to be done, but they are negligible in terms of effort to sort out.
Once the three items above are completed, we'll be ready to publish testnet builds for a round of testing before we can push it live on mainnet.
Particl Core 🔗
Core Codebase Maintenance 🛠️
As usual, we've been keeping up with upstream updates as part of our ever-ongoing effort to maintain Particl Core up-to-date with Bitcoin's latest version. You can always keep track of those changes by following this link.
As mentioned in our last update, BasicSwap has been undergoing a final round of closed beta testing. Here's what we can report so far.
- BasicSwap's GUI is very stable and has seen very few bugs. What's been identified is currently being fixed and tested simultaneously.
- We've received some good feedback and suggestions regarding the user interface, which we're also adding while fixing the aforementioned bugs. We will soon be pushing the v0.1.1 version of the GUI to the closed beta group.
- Just as with its GUI, we've received good feedback and comments regarding the BasicSwap codebase. Although no bug, properly speaking, has been found, this closed beta round does an excellent job of highlighting future priorities and some of the most pressing improvements or additions. We fully expect the open beta to help even further on that note.
- One recurrent comment is regarding the building process of the application, which may appear more or less complicated for some users. To that effect, we've prepared easy-to-follow step-by-step guides on the entire process which will be published on the Particl Academy in due time. We're also investigating different ways to automate and simplify that process, potentially via all-inclusive executables or similar solutions.
- For security purposes, the future development path envisions the BasicSwap protocol (i.e., nodes) and individual coin cores running isolated from each other. However, in this beta stage, the tradeoff for that enhanced security is reduced usability as we have to design the system to function in a more isolated way.
As always, we thank you immensely for your passion and dedication to Particl and what it's working towards achieving. None of it would be possible without you all!
We wish you a great weekend we'll see you all back on Monday! 👋
Particl is Participation
Get recognized as someone that cares. With your help, we become more noticed out there. It takes seconds, and you are making a statement by giving us a follow and hitting the bell icon.
Join the instant messaging chats. There's no need to be active, but it’s good to be in the loop.
Gain deep knowledge about Particl by reading.
Last but not least, a list that shows an infinite number of links clearly categorized and on one page.