Particl Desktop 3.2 is now live on mainnet! Indeed, you can now download and install the new desktop client and enjoy all the new features, improvements, and bug fixes!
Marketplace Messaging System 💬
Notably, this release introduces the widely-anticipated messaging system that allows sellers and buyers (and potential buyers as well) to communicate with each other. This new functionality is available in two different ways.
On one end, each listing now has a "public chatroom" in which any user can ask questions to the seller. All messages posted in a listing's chatroom are publicly viewable, meaning anyone can see current and past messages sent this way.
On the other end, a private chatroom, only accessible and viewable to the seller and the buyer of an item, is opened up when placing an order. Communications initiated this way are entirely end-to-end encrypted and anonymous, and it is impossible for any third-party or middleman to intercept messages. Messages are propagated through the SMSG network and never go through any central server. Private in-order chatrooms are available from the Order section of the Purchases and Sell pages, depending on whether you are the seller or the buyer.
Product Codes 👁️
Product codes allow a seller to uniquely identify their items according to their own predefined system. Note that this has no impact on the buyer side as the product codes are not publicly displayed along with a listing; they simply exist to provide some assistance to sellers in terms of inventory management.
The introduction of product codes is necessary for future additional features and for the deployment of the listing seeding system as detailed in this CCS proposal.
Various Improvements ✔️
Aside from the two new features mentioned above, Particl Desktop 3.2 introduces a few more improvements to both the marketplace app and the wallet. Check out the full list of changes here or at the bottom of this blog post.
Download Particl Desktop 3.2 on mainnet: https://github.com/particl/particl-desktop/releases/tag/v3.2.0
If you happen to be a newcomer to Particl at all we highly recommend the Particl Academy as your guide and reference book for getting along with Particl Marketplace.
- Your wallet needs to be unlocked to process buy and sell orders on the marketplace.
- There may be issues launching Particl Desktop 3.2 on some specific Linux OS such as Manjaro. This is due to an issue with Electron and will be fixed with the release of Particl Desktop 3.3.
- If you spot any issue, bug, or area of improvement, please report it directly on the Github Issues page.
Sometimes, it's helpful to start the application from the terminal, aka command line. It gives you additional information about what's happening in the background and can be useful for troubleshooting issues (if issues you encounter).
- Open "Windows Explorer"
- On the installation folder (e.g.
"C:\Program Files\Particl Desktop\Particl Desktop") Press [SHIFT⇧]+[MOUSE-RIGHT◳] and choose "Open command window here"
- Type the following command including the quotation marks into the terminal and hit [ENTER ↵]
- Open "Terminal"
(e.g. [COMMAND ⌘] + [SPACE] and type
terminal> hit [ENTER ↵])
- Type in this command and hit [ENTER ↵]:
/Applications/Particl\ Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/Particl\ Desktop
- Open a terminal in the folder where you’ve installed the application and type the following command and hit [ENTER ↵]:
List of Changes
Included here are the changes applied to both the UI of the marketplace, as well as the market service, for convenience:
- The previous default market, the Open Market, is no longer joined by default on a fresh/clean installation.
- Navigating to the "listings browser" section, when no markets are joined, will now indicate that a market needs to be joined (and present navigation options to the "market browser").
- If the Open Market market is not currently joined, the option to join this market is displayed semi-permanently above the list of promoted markets (making it available as an option for new users when no markets are actively being promoted).
- For users updating from earlier versions in which the Open Market was joined by default, the ability to remove/un-join the Open Market is now available (i.e., the market can be removed/un-joined just like any other market now).
- An additional filter has been added to the Batch Publish Modal to allow for the filtering of items that have previously been published to a selected market.
- Product codes, or unique seller codes for items, can now be specified for different items. A product code can only be added to a product template but it is visible on the market specific templates that are derived from the same product template. Product codes are not included when publishing an item to a market and are intended simply as a means for the seller to uniquely identify specific items.
- The 'State' input on an address (when purchasing an item, in the Cart page), is no longer a required field. The required fields on the Address form should now be more easily identified.
- Added the ability to send chat messages on Orders and Listings. Listing messages are public (anyone with the ability to view the listing can see any chat messages on the listing itself), whereas the Order related chat messages are only visible between the buyer and seller.
Included here are the changes applied to both the UI and functionality of the wallet module, for convenience:
- An issue has been fixed where a mouse click into the Send page > Narration input field, when this field contains a value, would not place the cursor at the correct position on the value (the cursor either jumps to the end or to the beginning of the value only).
- It is now possible to abandon a transaction with 0 confirmations.
- A selected wallet from the wallet selection drop-down list no longer "jumps" to the top of the wallet list. The selected wallet is still displayed as before, but on opening the wallet selection drop-down list the positioning of the wallets no longer changes.
- Wallets are now grouped according to location/function. This all should make wallet selection slightly easier particularly when a number of wallets have been created.
With Particl Desktop 3.2 and the long-anticipated messaging system now out on mainnet, stay tuned for a follow-up blog post that will detail what's to come next with Particl Desktop 3.3. and beyond 🚀
We hope you enjoy this new Particl Desktop release and thank you for your passion and dedication to the Particl mission. None of it would be possible with you all!
Particl is Participation
Get recognized as someone that cares. With your help, we become more noticed out there. It takes seconds, and you are making a statement by giving us a follow and hitting the bell icon.
Join the instant messaging chats. There's no need to be active, but it’s good to be in the loop.
Gain deep knowledge about Particl by reading.
Last but not least, a list that shows an infinite number of links clearly categorized and on one page.